View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:46 pm

shooters only? or doe's to?? 
Longbeard

Post shooters only? or doe's to??
Just a thought and a sort of question. Many people these days are great awesome hunters, and i think hunting in Virginia is starting to become more popular amongst other people. Many people, including me and everybody on this site is anxious to get out in the woods with our bows and with our guns. Anxious to get our sights in on a big shooter buck!. When we watch the hunting videos, we get our hopes high, and set our goals high for the upcoming year. We all strive every year to go after the big boy roaming the Virginia woods and fields! My question is, is there anybody on this site that is just as satisfied with a big doe? most times we are gonna show the pictures of the big boys we tag. what about that big doe that puts the meat on the table! I dont know, but i get just as pumped when i place a tag on anything i kill, and i am just as proud to take down a doe than a buck! Dont get me wrong, after last year's kill i thoroughly enjoyed killin a big buck.. and look forward to hopefully set sights on one this year to.. but i look forward to anything i see to be honest with ya!.. is there anybody else out there like that! just curious!

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:24 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

In the past several yrs my standards buck wise have increased. Thats my choice. I love taking mature does with the bow and still (if I ever stop I will quit hunting) get giddy and excited when I hear or see deer approching my stand. I believe only this. If the law allows it and you have a tag and the method is legal any size animal a hunter takes is fine. The trophy is in the eye of the hunter. not in the stats!.. keep hunting and have FUN!!!!

Max

Max

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I'm still dreaming of killing that big ol' buck to put on my wall, but until then I'll be killing the does for my freezer :D I get just as excited with a doe as I do with a buck.

I killed a 8 pointer last year and a doe, never did post pics of either. Guess I need to do better this year.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

For me it's the overall experience......it's been a long time since I've tagged a wallhanger. I see many every year during bow season but haven't been able to close the deal in a while. I enjoy tagging does and pulling the jaw bone. I agree 100% with Max. I usually pass younger bucks, but not always. I don't know if I would shoot one this year under any circumstances....I've already passed a few in ky....it just depends on the situation. But I don't believe in antler restrictions.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:42 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

For me, it's all about the hunt and filling the freezer. A deer is a deer. I will admit that a wise old buck is harder to hunt, but I still get excited at every deer I see!

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:54 am
Profile YIM
I'm a freezer filler for all game. That is, I love the hunt, being outdoors, and all that comes with it. But if I can't eat it, I won't hunt it. This is why I will probably never kill a bear. My only exception is the coyote. I just plain hate (and admire) the durn things.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:12 am
2 Year Old

Been 8 years since I've gone out with a bow, this year to quote an old buddy of mine " if its brown, its down" LOL Not really, I plan to let the spikes and forkhorns walk and take the first ethical shot at the first legal deer otherwise. Does and young ones will not get a by from me! Be safe and good luck!

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:13 am
Jake

I'm a freezer filler for all game. That is, I love the hunt, being outdoors, and all that comes with it. But if I can't eat it, I won't hunt it. This is why I will probably never kill a bear. My only exception is the coyote. I just plain hate (and admire) the durn things.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:13 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post does
does go in the freezer, usually 4-5, I try to take special care to not shoot buttons.

bucks go on the wall, or they walk

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:36 am
Jake

Post Bear Meat
I don't have a problem with lots of people who shoot bears, they don't waste the meat and actually enjoy it.

I have some black bear in my freezer right now and I am enjoying it very much. I think it all depends on how you cook it...

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:17 am
You can't eat the antlers thats for sure. i like to kills does just as much as bucks, i get excited when i see any kind of deer. they eat just as good or better

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:07 am
Longbeard

I try to fill the freezer in the early seasons with does. Once the rut gets going I hold out for mature bucks.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:30 pm