View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 12:29 pm

Parker's First Buck 
Boss Gobbler

Post Parker's First Buck
Parker has killed a few does, and actually killed his first deer with a muzzle loader last week, a big doe. He was excited to kill one with the muzzle loader and we were now in pursuit of a buck. We were actually set up in the same place he killed the doe at. We had been seeing a few deer there and saw a decent buck last week, but he was too far away. Early on in the eve a doe came out and I let Parker practice on aiming and I reviewed with him how to quickly find a deer in the scope using both eyes first (A task that would prove invaluable later on in the eve) We were in a blind so this was a good time to work on the skill. As the evening progressed we saw a few deer in the distance but no bucks. I heard up on the ridge what sounded to be a chase and prepared for what may take place. However, the deer kept going and did not come close enough to see. About 15 minutes later I heard deer coming off the ridge toward our location. A doe popped out and I heard another deer coming and thought I heard a grunt. As I looked in the binos to see if I could pick him out in the woods he appeared. I told Parker to get on him and get ready. About that time he decided to play cat and mouse and chase the doe around and they stopped in some tall weeds that would not allow for a shot. The doe looked to be ready to bolt to our right so I talked to Parker telling him what I thought would happen. She changed her mind and started to our left coming through the plot and in the open. I told him to be ready because when I stopped the buck he had to be on him and ready. Hard to tell an 11 year old to hurry and at the same time, take his time on the shot. The buck came left, I grunted and he stopped at 70 yards. I told him to steady on him, take his time and SQUEEZE the trigger(Something I make sure to tell him, as its something I do for myself so I dont rush the shot). About that time the shot goes off and smoke clouds our vision. The 2 other deer in the area just stand in the area and the buck runs off, but I cant really hear him go that far. Not a crash but not running either. We sit tight for a while and go look for blood. I only have my green light and cant really find any blood (OK The dad in me panic a bit but I dont let him know) so I said lets go to the truck and get my big light and get the 4 wheeler. When we return with the light and look I immediately find blood, which for a muzzleloader I was happy. We track it to the creek and find some in the creek also. He managed to cross the creek and then expire on the other side. All of my worrying was for not as he made an excellent shot and the deer only went 75 yards. After a several high fives and a big hug I tell him I am proud of him. We have a conversation about the deer and the story and then focus on the fact that he just killed his first buck and its a darn nice one...big body for sure. This is one of those moments that as a father is exciting and also about brings a tear to your eyes. We said a quick thanks and a prayer and we both thanked my dad for teaching me to hunt so I could pass it down to my son. This was certainly quite a moment, and I know Parker was excited but I think I was more. I could make this story a lot longer and add to it but this is it for now. I honestly dont care if I kill a deer this year as this makes my season. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:46 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Parker's First Buck
Congrads Hody and Parker!!! I certainly know what you are saying when you said it was an excited time but also brings tears to your eyes!

Doug

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:02 pm
King of Spring

Congrats! My son has not expressed interest in going with me this year and it has been heartbreaking to say the least, but I haven't pressed the issue with him and hope and pray he gets the spark again. He's killed several deer the last couple of years and I thought he was hooked. I am hoping over Thanksgiving he'll ask to tag along. Again great first buck! I know your one proud dad.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:11 pm
Jake

Great story and great buck Parker! I'm like Hody and probably every Dad out there - there is 10 times more joy when your child shoots one than when you do yourself.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:53 pm
King of Spring

Great Story man.. congrats again to you both ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Parker, great deer!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Nice buck Parker! Way to go guys!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:05 pm
King of Spring

Love it! Congrats all around!

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:54 pm
Longbeard

way to go young man!! congrats

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:06 pm
King of Spring

Very proud of you Parker (and Tim too)!! Knew it was only a matter of time this season before I'd be reading a success story. Congrats and High Fives all around!!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:31 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Great job Parker and Dad

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:02 pm
King of Spring

What a special feeling, Awesome job Parker an Dad... :D

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:22 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Congats again to you both! Well done and much deserved for that young man!!

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats to both of you!

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 am
King of Spring

Always good to see youngin's holding bone. That will be indelibly marked on his memory forever. Good job.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:51 am