View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 5:14 am

Tunnel Vision 
King of Spring

Post Tunnel Vision
I'm having a rough year for near misses i have shot twice an missed twice so far each time i have hit limbs which deflected my arrow. I'm not to sure i have it so much gun hunting i seems like when i shoot the muzzleloader or shotgun i hit the mark, i'm thinking maybe my peep site on the bow doesn't allow me to see obstacles in the way or it's not just me. Maybe some advise from some avid bowhunters, but to me it seems like i miss alot..??

When i practice shooting my bow i do it from a treestand in wooded area's???

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Tunnel Vision
Are you sure that your shots are being deflected and that you're not missing for other reasons?

The best thing to do is notice the shooting lanes and obstructions, along with ranges, etc when you first climb up so you are already aware of them before buck fever takes over. Aside from that, it will still happen occasionally.

Over the years I've had three shots deflected. The first the arc of the arrow hit an overhead limb. That was in the days of slower bows and there was a lot more curve to hit a 35 yard shot. I saw the limb but didn't realize it would interfere with the shot. Second time I hit a single strand of barbwire from an old fence.....sent sparks flying everywhere. I didn't know what the heck had happened until I climbed down and found the barbwire and my arrow without blood.

The third time was at the end of legal light....I center punched a 2" sapling that was just a few inches in front of the deer. Arrow broke in the sapling, deer ran off hurt.

...most of my misses have been ranging errors.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I'm not sure if it's range i usually won't shoot unless they come in that 20yrd range most of the time i see a tree branch shaking, or i'll see my arrow stuck in a sapling. I really do believe it has something to do with my peep site. The peep site i have is the glow one with the rubber hose i'm really thinking about converting to the one that ties directly in the bow string...

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:49 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Definately switch to a self-aligning peep. I started off with one with the hose, it's just one more thing to fail. The smaller the peep opening, the more accurate it will be at getting small groups at far ranges.....and the harder to see through at low light. I have a peep with a bigger opening, and can see pretty well with it in low light. Also, getting a sight with extremely tiny but bright pins has been a tremendous help. Great in lowlight and know issue with the pin covering the deer. I have an axcel and wouldn't do without it.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Do you shoot the peep with only your dominant eye or both eyes open? I used to close my left eye like I would with a rifle until I talked to some archery folk about it. Keeping both eyes open keeps you more relaxed, gives you a much wider range of peripheral vision, and allows you to focus on the target rather than the pins.

If I am preaching to the choir, please forgive me!

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 pm