View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:48 am

What is everyone seeing so far? Need some help. 
Jake

Post What is everyone seeing so far? Need some help.
I primarily hunt 150 acres of newly acquired mountain woods both open and thick (no fields, except some small grassy areas) in central Bedford County. So I figure there has to be deer here. Been out 4 or 5 times so far, not a ton of activity. Have seen a doe or two most sits, no bucks. A couple of decent bucks have shown on cameras during mid day in the past week or so. No crop land around me, but there are some open cow fields on adjoining property. Lots of trails, none really heavy though. Hard for me to tell the bedding and food routes being it is new property, so I thought I'd go for some sage advice to the wisemen here on the board.

Without food plots or crop lands or acorns, what should be the strategy for the rest of bow season and also going into the rut?

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:57 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: What is everyone seeing so far? Need some help.
Scout places to put small patches in for next spring. Keep hunting the thick stuff with the lightly used trails. Big bucks stay off the highways unless trailing a hot doe in the rut. Sounds like you're on the right track. Only a matter of time.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:11 pm
Longbeard

Big woods are going to be a little tougher this year without acorns. You may have already done this but scout around for that tree that is producing some acorns and you will be in luck. Check out the high ground for those trees as well. Sometimes the higher elevation helps or a certain ridge has some chestnut oaks. Look for the sign that deer have been feeding and for deer droppings. You most likely won't see the acorns because the deer will gobble them up quick. Keep after them and good luck. As the pre rut and rut kicks in the deer will follow the lay of the land be ready for that as well

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:48 pm
King of Spring

I am hunting the same general area as you and this is the screwiest year I can remember. There are no acorns on my place and even the worst years in the past there were always a few trees with acorns at the beginning of the season. I've got close to 40 acres of fields and seeing very few deer in those as well. The trail cams have slowed to a crawl.

I hunted Mon-Wed of last week and did not see a single deer while on stand.

There was a lot of hunting pressure in my area last year and by the end of the season, I was seeing very few deer. But, by the end of January I was getting plenty of pics of quite a few different deer. I had a nice bachelor group through the summer. I know there are deer in the area but I think right now they have either found groups of oaks that are producing somewhere, or there are agricultural fields nearby they are hitting.

The hay on our place was cut two weeks ago. With all the recent rain and warm temps, the fields should start attracting deer. I all also just got a half acre of oats in that have sprouted and should start drawing deer soon. When we get a few cold nights, the deer will be moving. I will be hunting this Friday and Saturday and am optimistic that things will be looking up.

For your situation I would look at google earth maps and look for obvious funnels in the terrain features....that and or habitat edges. If the food is sparce, you want to be where you have the greatest chance of catching deer on natural movement through the area. If nothing else, there will be deer dispersing and looking for new territory. Range shifting or whatever it's called. Good luck.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:56 pm
Profile WWW