View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:40 pm

Coyote this AM 
King of Spring

Post Coyote this AM
This morning I was hunting in the national forest in Montgomery County (down Poverty creek across the road from Boley fields for those of you who hunt this area). I climbed down the tree in my climbing stand at about 8:45 since I had to get to class. I left my bow by the tree my stand was in and walked over to look at a fresh rub that I saw about 15 yards away. I heard something crashing through the leaves and I looked and a coyote was coming straight toward me. This is the first coyote I have seen in person, but it was huge! It was literally as big as a German Shepherd. It stopped broadside from me about 20 yards away, but never saw me. If I had my bow in hand I could've plugged him. That was kind of frustrating. After stopping for a few seconds he took off running and out of sight he went.

Have any of you that hunt around this area seen coyotes out there? Also, I thought they traveled in packs, but this one was by itself, is that normal?

Ryan

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:18 pm
King of Spring

I have seen a total of about 5, killed 2 and they were all by themselves. (Over the last few years)

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:22 pm
Boss Gobbler

I ran into one the other week in that area. Coming out after dark I got to within four feet of one :shock: Don't know who was more surprised, the coyote or me. I was trying to get my Smith & Wesson .357mag off of my hip and he was trying to get the heck out of dodge. Too bad my Smith was burried under a safety harness, treestand and a fanny pack :lol:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

I saw one over there last spring, it was also by itself. I also found a dead turkey carcass that looked like it had been cleaned to the bone by i'm guessing a yote. :x I haven't been over there yet this year, have you had any luck?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:10 pm
King of Spring

I haven't seen a deer, although I've seen several fresh rubs. Also, the latest trail cam pic that I posted of that bear came from out there.

Ryan

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:47 pm
Longbeard

Although I have heard many howl in packs, I have never seen more than one at a time.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:38 pm