View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Tarsal glands... 
Longbeard

Post Tarsal glands...
I was just curious who out there collects the "hocks" of the deer for the tarsal glands and if they seem to work as cover scents or attractants... I was thinking about collecting some from people in the next couple of weeks to use this season and next. What do y'all think?

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:04 pm
King of Spring

One of the best mornings I ever had deer hunting was one Monday opener. I had killed a muzzleloader buck on sat.( at another location), removed his tarsals and drained his bladder into a bottle as well. On monday I placed the tarsals on either side of my stand and soaked them down with the bottle. I had bucks around me all morning long. When one would walk away another would appear ,whenever I would tickle the antlers bucks would return. I finally culled a 16" 5pt at 11am with two other bucks right under me. i could still rattle em back any time with a dead buck on the ground. The big boy never showed and i found out he had been killed a first light by a old gentleman w/ a double barreled shotgun at the end of the ridge. Those bucks were completely put at ease by that scent. So I say use em if you got em. must refridgerate if not used immediatly though.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:46 pm
King of Spring

Like Bird Dog, i used some during muzzleloader that i had taken off a buck killed a day earlier, only time i have ever had a buck come in and snort wheeze, only time i have ever heard that, he never came out of the laurel so i could not get a shot, but he was only about 40 yards away, caught glimpses of him but never really got a good luck, wish i could of seen what kind of buck made that noise!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:22 am
King of Spring

If used correctly you are experimenting with the best lure made. Now, the fact remains that wind has to be right (without your scent in it) so stay away from the concentrated area if you have hung up the gland. The best luck you will have and I'm not saying "maybe" or "I think", will be if you use the glands from a buck killed in the area of the Wallhanger you are hunting. I have killed four wallhangin 10 pts and several 7-8-9 point average bucks in the last decade using the tarsal. Seriously, if you or a family member kill a younger buck and know of a mature buck in the same area these are your best conditions. Your chances are increased because that buck is smelling a deer that has probably run with him or crossed paths a time or two and he recognizes his scent. This won't fly during the rut. The most natural time for the bucks to fight is at night. I have had more luck using the tarsal glands set up near a rub line located near a thicket. Now comes the time of day. We've all heard of the golden hour in the evening. When the pressure is on and If it is a mature buck and you or others hunt this spot you can take all the scent block clothes and rubber boots, wafers, cover scent and give em to your momma because he knows you are there. Avoid the swirling winds and put your scent line down, get away from the rub line. Hunt until dark and I mean keep your eyes open and ears peeled the last 15 minutes of daylight. This is how I hunt pressured bucks. If you are hunting private land on a fresh stand with no pressure just find your rub line and sit...all day if you can. Don't even think about coming out of the woods for lunch. Sneak you a snack here and there. There are a lot of hunters on this board who know what I mean esp about the mid-day rule. I hope this or a similiar tactic will work for ya. Good Luck! and Check over your shoulder :wink:

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 pm