View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 am

Alex's Juvey. Deer Hunt 
Longbeard

Post Alex's Juvey. Deer Hunt
My friend Wayne invited Alex and I to juvey. hunt his 300ac. lease that we've never hunted before. We met with Wayne and he took us on a tour of the property. All the logging roads ran on top of the steep ridges and were bush hogged 10' on each side. The sides were real steep and very thick,good deer country. He had several plywood box stands through out the logging roads over looking natural crossings. He recommended a box blind for us and showed us where another juvey and his dad were going to be hunting also.
We settled in Sat. morning about 15min before it got daylight. Around 8:00am I looked down the road and saw a buck standing, Alex was already getting set-up for the shot. At the report of the 7mm-08 the buck just looked around then in a second he vanished from the road with a another buck close behind. Alex was bumbfuzzled! I was about to say something when I looked up and there stood another buck on the other side of the road. Alex was determined to make this shot. The Mod. 7 broke the silence again only to have this buck reach down and get a bite of grass. The buck was just watching as Alex unloaded another Nosler 140gr. bt for the second time. Then casually walked off!
Well Alex was upset to say the least, and I was also because I'm the one that worked up that load and zeroed it in. I couldn't tell just where he was hitting and that was aggravating!
That was 3 bucks in less thatn 10min. Well little did Alex and I know it wasn't over just yet!
We were trying to figure out what was going on when we looked out down the logging road and ...yes.. here comes 2 more bucks. Alex was waiting as they were working their way striaght to us. Alex was concerating on the lead buck when way back out the road comes this hugh bodied buck. He caught up with the others and Alex zeroed in on him. Well I hate to say it but when the little gun roared the all the bucks looked our way, crossed the road and dissappeared in the thicket. Then believe it or not I looked to my right and here comes a flat horn spike with his nose to the groung trailing. Alex tries to get on him but he cuts to the left and goes in a thicket. Thats 7 bucks and 5 shots and NO deer :cry:
We at 11:30 we climb down and look for sign that might prove a hit but didn't find any. I did find where 4 of his bulllets hit the ground and when I ranged the distance I was suprised to read 204yds. Even though the Mod.7 was zeroed at 150yds. I blame myself for his misses...for one thing he didn't have a good rest and I should have ranged the distance before hand. I sure won't let this happen again!
The next day we didn't see a single deer even though Alex had my .270. But we did have a coyate come in and Alex downed him at 100yds. He still had a great hunt and Wayne's going to let him come back soon. It sure was a hunt that I'll never forget :!:
GS...

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:06 pm
King of Spring

Congrats on your coyote Alex! Don't sweat it, everybody on this board has missed and will sometime again. Really you're the kind of hunter I like, keeping the deer population up and the predator population down! :D You'll get him next time, if you can hit a coyote you can hit a deer . Good luck!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:55 pm