View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

New kid on the block 
Poult

Post New kid on the block
Hello everybody, I have been reading all your post and enjoy all the hunting stories. I have only been hunting for turkey for three years and have fell in love with it. Went hunting Saturday and heard four gobble just as the sun broke, what a sound. I had a Tom come into the field(10am) about 150 yards away and put on a show for my decoys. This went on for an hour. He got within about 70 yards and then three live hens came on to the field in the opposite direction and he went straight to them. They left and I could breathe again.

Went back Monday with my turkey hunting buddy and the wind was terrible but it was better than working, so we set out our decoys and just as the sun broke and while we both were looking away from the decoys we heard this loud thud. We turned quickly toward the decoys and there sat a Blad Eagle with our decoy in his grasp. I could not believe what I saw when the eagle flew off with our decoy never to be seen again. Did not hear or see any turkey but the eagle made the trip.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:03 pm
King of Spring

Welcome SNT, That would sure have been a sight! I bet those eaglets had a hard time choking that thing down!

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:37 pm
King of Spring

Man...how mad you think he was when he took a bite! Sounds like some fun hunts.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:41 pm
King of Spring

That has to be one of the coolest thing you have ever saw. I was hunt over in Chickohomy a few year back an a bald eagle landed in tree straight across from me about 40 yrds. That was the first one I had ever seen in the wild. It's stayed in the tree for about an hour. Every time I would call it would stare straight at me. I thought it was going to fly down at me a couple of times. He finally flew off. I was wondering would an eagle attack a eagle. From you told I guess my question has been answered.

I live over in Hickory , You a life time chesapeake person. I was born and raised Deep Creek.
Welcome to the site.
Tim

Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 am
Poult

Post Chesapeake
Vabirdhunter, I have lived in Chesapeake (South Norfolk) all my life (46 years) and went to school at OFS "class of 79". I'm new to turkey hunting (3yrs) but love it. I got my first and only bird in 2005 it scored 70 12/16 and took 7th in the eastern region. I guess Iused up all my luck, but I'll keep trying.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:23 am
Longbeard

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:30 pm