View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:31 am

Weighing your birds 
King of Spring

Post Weighing your birds
After reading a post over at the NWTF forums, I realized that many turkey hunters use the Berkley Digital Fish scale, myself included, for getting an accurate weight of their gobblers. This will be the third season using mine, and I have to admit, on some of those birds that your think weigh 22 lbs, it sure humbles you to discover that they only weigh 17!!! LOL!!
Click onto the link below for more info on this scale. I keep mine in my truck at all times, and sure takes the guess work out of filling out the tags!!
:wink:

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/Detail.cfm?PassProductInfoId=832&PassPrevious=Products&PassLevel=1

Last edited by maytom on Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:42 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I really only get worked up about weighing the ones that are true super-sized...fish scales are good...Freddy has killed some that we had to take to truck scales out on the highway.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:30 am
Boss Gobbler

I use something similar Maytom... mine just aren't digital. I calibrate them every year and they stay pretty accurate.

Have you seen those d++r carts that people use? GN kills turkey so big that he keeps a turkey cart in his vehicle... :wink:

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:55 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I like Scott's scales! They make you smile no matter the size of the bird!

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:18 am
Profile YIM
Jake

I really only get worked up about weighing the ones that are true super-sized...fish scales are good...Freddy has killed some that we had to take to truck scales out on the highway.

GN and Freddy,
What did y'all think about the size of the birds in middle TN. I have killed two big birds here that weighed 25 and over 27 on the farmers scale. Didn't think a lot about it at the time but when I started noticing the average weight from other places I decided his scales must be wrong. Since then I have talked to lots of other folks who have killed heavy ones around here. I've heard several times that our birds here were originally transplanted from northern Missouri. That might explain the high weights.

Those scales look easy to use. I need to get one for our new pond and hopefully weighing some turkeys.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:41 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Coach B...believe me Freddy and I have talked a lot about the weight of those birds in middle Tenn...perhaps it is the Missouri strain, perhaps the limetone richness of the soil, all those cow patties they get to flip, water nutirents(likethe stuffthat makes Jack Daniels so good..:>)). Who knows, but they are universally bigger than birds I get to see about anywhere else I hunt..I do not get to Iowa and the upper midwest states that grow'em big. But there apparently a large number of 25 to 27 and bigger birds taken every year out there in middle tennnessee.. and the birds are not fat and squatty either, as their bodies are proportionately bigger in every repect it seem to me..feet, and all......the biggest bird Freddy killed in 2003 was so big that I could see it was huge from the very first time I saw it at 60-70 yds, and it turned out to be 27 plus..and the diary excerpts from Freddy's 2003 diary, where in I am quoted "it is the biggest bird I have ever seen" is an entirely accurate quote, and it turned out to be true. The thing looked like a dinasour coming thorugh the woods. Sadly for me, I have lost he access I had for hunting in your area as the farm was sold etc...too good to have been true anyway.

Last edited by Gobblenow on Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:56 pm
Boss Gobbler

Yep... what GN said! The turkeys are so big down there we decided long ago that to hunt by yourself down there is pure foolishness, as those turkeys could hurt a man if he wasn't careful! :shock: :lol:

Seriously, GN is right, he called it on the big gobbler lumbering through the woods, and was dead on. Before getting him to a set of scales GN said the bird was 26-1/2 lbs. I couldn't even venture a guess, but knew it was heavier than any bird I had killed in VA. He takes up half the wall in my trophy room!

Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:04 pm
Profile WWW