View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:38 am

Public land turkey hunting 
Poult

Post Public land turkey hunting
Got a question for you all, planned on making a trip down to Kerr Lake to turkey hunt for the opener. Was curious to as how the hunting is there as well as pressure ? Any help is appreciated!

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:21 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Public land turkey hunting
welcome to the board....perhaps you should consider asking for some PM messages on your question as most folks here are pretty careful about specific info on public land. Im sure you all get some responses that way. I m not from that area so cannot help you.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:34 am
Longbeard

Post Re: Public land turkey hunting
https://www.saw.usace.army.mil/Portals/ ... %20Map.pdf

The link is to a map of the area taken from the Corps of Engineers website. The WMA's are marked.

I live in Halifax County VA and have hunted the Corps land along the Banister River (a tributary of the reservoir) quite a bit, although I haven't hunted along the lake proper. I have found this land more suitable for hunting deer than for turkeys. The Corps land, at least along the Banister, is mostly wooded bottomland. While turkeys may roost on the Corps land, in the spring they usually head for the adjacent more open farm land to strut and if you don't have permission to hunt this private land, hunting the Corps land can be frustrating.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:17 pm