View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:10 pm

Fall Turkey 
King of Spring

Post Fall Turkey
Went to WV for a few days trying to find turkey and deer. We hunted a spot where we see turkey all the time during firearms season. Saw nothing for 3 days. I thought I heard a hen fight way off but never saw a bird otherwise. Pattern changed for some reason. Saturday was youth firearms. We saw deer on Thursday and Friday, of course, nothing on Saturday. Funny huh. Son is a little disappointed but I was happy I got him away from the electronics for a while. We spent 3 days in a blind watching. Good times for me and I hope for him too. There's always next year.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Fall Turkey
I had seen a couple LB in a field where I could hunt during the gun season here. I just could not make myself go and shoot one. They were there every day. Just didn't seem right , so I left them for the spring. Impossible to warehouse turkeys, as I know very well, but just couldn't do it. Maybe I am getting soft.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 am
King of Spring

First, congratulations Vic on getting the son away from the electronics. But I and sure with you as the guide it will happen shortly for your son.

GN, I feel the same as you it just wouldn't seem right seeing longbeards on a regular bases, I to could not bring myself to just set up and shot one. But if one was to break them up and try calling one back in over the next 1 hour to 1 day that would be an accomplishment. First not making any bad gobbler calls and then not being spotted no matter how good a natural blind one made. I believe they are more alert in the fall coming to a call then in the spring, of course maybe thats because I get my fellings hurt more in the fall then spring. Of course no decoys allowed when with me. But to each thier own.

But fall hunting gobblers today must have a different effect on one as my grandfather and his friends were all lean and had a thick head of hair, as I have gotten fatter and now bald. :smt017 :-D :-D

Earl

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:09 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

[quote="Greyghost"]F

GN, I feel the same as you it just wouldn't seem right seeing longbeards on a regular bases, I to could not bring myself to just set up and shot one.

Earl[/quote]

:D Somehow l thought you knew every LB on that Q base by first name and saw them on a right regular basis?? :lol:

Im teasing , of course.......

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Greyghost wrote:
F

GN, I feel the same as you it just wouldn't seem right seeing longbeards on a regular bases, I to could not bring myself to just set up and shot one.

Earl

:D Somehow l thought you knew every LB on that Q base by first name and saw them on a right regular basis?? :lol:

Im teasing , of course.......

:D That's the problem, I do see them and name them after they get the best of me on a regular basis. :D

Earl

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:15 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

we are both too old to be naming turkeys ....we know better than that......

- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:18 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
we are both too old to be naming turkeys ....we know better than that......

Yea for sure, but my names are not proper nouns but adjectives.

Earl

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 pm
King of Spring

GN beat me to it, Naming birds, nooooo. Funny.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:23 pm