View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:53 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2005 Turkey Tips Contest w/ Prize - WINNER ANNOUNCED! 
2 Year Old

Post A pattern "board" I made that works great and chea
Get two conduit pipes about 4.5’ long. The pipes are the legs. Attach two horizontal 1â€

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:07 pm
King of Spring

Post tip
If you kill a turkey, the next time you go out hunting, wear the same t-shirt, underwear and sox(without washing) that you wore for the kill......once you hit on the right underwear, sock and T-shirt combination, you've got the rest of the season beat. If you wash, you have to go back to square one.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:42 pm
King of Spring

go with your strengths...and quit worrying about what you can't do. if you like a slate call - use the darn thing. if you can't use a mouth call - forget about it...this is supposed to be fun.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:17 pm
King of Spring

Post tip
Don't post all the tricks you've learned over the years on a turkey hunting forum, especially if you're in the same state.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:22 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

FULLBACK, the Rules Committee asked me to tell you that even though you are a young man, based on your last two entries, you have great potential.....:>)

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:44 am
King of Spring

If you use mouth calls. Clean them with mouthwash every few days during the season and rinse with water. I don't like to soak mine in mouthwash or water, I think they wear out faster if you do, but cleaning them kills the germs that may keep you from getting sick. I like to stick mine in as soon as I get in the truck to loosen them up. You can't hunt if you are in bed sick.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Last edited by WVBOY on Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:27 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

WV Boy..RCasked me to tell you to check out Turkey 721 post from page 3 on calls in mouthwash etc...msut be a good idea , but Jon was first on thsi one.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:36 am
King of Spring

when choosing your set up spot things look different from a standing position to a setting position always set down to make sure there are no objects in your way of shooting or moving your gun. You just might not be able to see as good as you thought you could while standing. Just remember when the boss gets in to shooting range he usually don't stick around to much.

Doug

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:18 pm
King of Spring

WV Boy..RCasked me to tell you to check out Turkey 721 post from page 3 on calls in mouthwash etc...msut be a good idea , but Jon was first on thsi one.

Dear RC .. don't see anything about mouthwash and killing germs in his post to keep you from getting sick.. unless I missed it and am looking at the wrong one.. I thought his was about just loosening up the reeds.. I don't like to soak mine.. just keep them germ free.. no worries though..

turkey721 wrote:
I always soak my mouth calls in water overnight. I found this helps them have a more broken in effect the next morning and it helps the reeds expand so the call does not hit any high or "squeeks" notes. I found it helps the reeds "unstick" also.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:50 pm
King of Spring

If I'm not mistaken hody used this tip last year Mouthwash etc

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:31 pm
Longbeard

Post tips
Of all the things that run through your mind when you're "in the game" make sure your set-up is the best. Everything else is secondary to the "set-up".

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:41 pm
Jake

Before going out to hunt , soak the mouth calls you intend to use in Biotene for 20 min's or so. It is a Non-Alcohol mouth wash that kills bacterial enzymes and will restore your call to original sound. I carry a small round tupperware container to put the calls in after hunting or sometimes wait til i get back home.
I have used it on calls that had stuck reeds and it brings them back to life. It is easly purchased at Walmart or drug stores.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:46 am
Poult

Post Tip
Guys I dont mean to be sarcastic or seem like a smart__. But as I read all the tips I couldn't help but think about the most obvious ones. None of the tips listed will work if you dont go hunting. So my tip is GO HUNTING!! Go hunting by yourself, with a friend or take a youngster. We obviously live for the Spring but as the season rolls on and we get over the initial rush I often find an excuse for not getting up. In all honesty as a hunter with only a few years experience these tips are the greatest. Thanks!

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:17 pm
King of Spring

Fullback has this one won - hands down. Can't believe it took this long to post that one.
If you really want that edge on opening day....well, you know the deal.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:58 pm
Jake

This tip is for all of you who like to take youngsters afield.

Get one of the jogging strollers with the bicycle tires (I got one at a yard sale for $10) and give it a good camo paint job. It's perfect for getting a kid around on logging roads or through fields, and they do fairly well in the open woods too. Add some camo burlap to cover them and they have the best seat in the house when it's time to set up and start working a bird.

My daughter, who was 6 at the time, was sitting in ours when I killed a big gobbler two springs ago. My 4 year old son will get his first turn in it this spring.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:25 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next